Thursday 21 April 2011

Eduard's MiG-21MF, British Modelling Forums and the Airfix Lynx.

After much preamble on the forums, websites and Facebook, the eagerly anticipated Eduard MiG-21MF has arrived.  I was lucky enough to be given a review copy by Geoff Coughlin for his Scale Modelling Now web based modelling magazine.

http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/

The model is built and is ready for paint, the fit has been very good indeed, not quite as perfect as the Tamiya 1:48 Zeros but pretty close.  Obviously I can't say too much or Geoff will get a bit grumpy but here's a taster pic of the work so far.  The first instalment of the article is up already and more will follow on soon as will Andy brown's build, he got the subscriber edition while I got the spare sprue deal.  It's embarrassing to be beaten by a crab at rock, paper, scissors!



As I mentioned in my last blah, the other day I headed over to a fairly well know modelling forum based here in the UK where once again they were having a good old fashioned go at SAM magazine.  Unfortunately my frustration got the better of me and I waded in, quite politely I thought, however things kind of kicked off a bit.  A good hearty discussion was had, this lead me to the conclusion that they won't budge in their views and nor will I.  They don't like SAM and they are entitled to their opinion, I respect that.  I think they are wrong but hey ho.  I got some very complimentary PM's from board members which mean a lot, thanks chaps.  Thanks also to the level headed blokes over there who stated their positive SAM views, including one chap who said (and I paraphrase); "stop reading the editorial in WH Smiths, getting cross then having a moan on the forums.  If you don't like it or are offended then stop reading it!"  Bloody good advice I reckon.

Anyway, that's the last of.................oops, I nearly said Britmodeller's name then.  bugger!  As far as I'm concerned that's the end of that discussion.

I have some moderately bad news, the upcoming Airfix Lynx has been delayed again.  There have been some tooling issues, all this delay actually is welcome, it means that they are determined to release the best model they can.  I have helped the designers with photos, art work (they are releasing my XZ 731 "Evelyn", and hosted them at Yeovilton so I get the occasional bit of insider info which is nice.  They told me they were going to do the Merlin in 1:48 scale at Telford but I was sworn to secrecy, I suppose I could have leaked it  something like the Tamiya P-51 drama on Hyperscale but refrained.  I only told Lord Haig, Lord Haig's wife, her friends, her friend's tennis partners and their pet tortoise Alan!  Not really!

That's all I have for now, next time I'll have finished photos of the MiG, that's if I can ever decide what scheme to do it in!  I'll leave you with a few photos of Evelyn taken on my last deployment.

Model on dudes!







No comments:

Post a Comment